Thursday, February 16, 2006

Songs Forty-Seven and Forty-Eight

Hey, I found my scuff! It had a few tiny toothmarks, but otherwise was none the worse for wear. Yay! So, I'm in quite the celebratory mood. Also, my dissertation chair told me I'm on a real fast-track; my editor had only two teeny changes to a recently revised article; my son is actually using the "big potty" on an ongoing basis; my daughter cleaned her own room; and my husband will consider getting me a dog as a gift when I complete my doctorate (guess what I've been watching--arf, arf). So, let the boogie begin . . .

Song Forty-Seven: Rob Base and DJ E-Z Rock, "It Takes Two." The minute I hear "hit it," it's all over. My parents lived outside Detroit during the Bad Boys years, and I will forever associate this song with the wait in the Auburn Hills parking lot after games because it was always booming from someone's ride into the cold, cold night. The "whoo" sample along is worth the price of admission. Plus, there's something so amusing, innocent, and pure about the lines, "I want to rock right now / I'm Rob Base and I came to get down / I'm not internationally known / But I'm known to rock the microphone." There are just a few songs that really thrill me on some super-deep level the moment I hear the first note. This is one. (Outkast's "BOB" is another, but I own that and it would be unfair to include it. Even though it's one of the best songs ever, forever ever.)

Song Forty-Eight: Heatwave, "The Groove Line." You know it, you love it, you danced to it at a frat party or your prom, you shout "hoo, hoo" along to it, you "leave your worries behind" the minute it comes on. I dare you to resist the force of the groove line. Here, try this experiment. Back this song with the Gap Band's "Burn Rubber" or "You Dropped a Bomb on Me" and play the two over and over next time you have a par-tay. Time how long it takes anyone to notice. I guarantee it will be longer than a very special Love Boat movie. That is the power of the funk, dear reader! (It can even overcome the shock experienced when seeing a photo of the band.)

317 to go.

No comments: