Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Song Forty-Six

I'm off today to crank out a spreadsheet identifying factors that influence community college student completion as expressed in the literature (isn't that a great research term: "the literature"; it's so self-contained) and how this list maps to the elements within my massive dissertation data set. Jealous? Well, to ease my number-crunched mind, I also worked in a quick shopping trip, where I discovered these super-cute cashmere blend scuffs (with bows!) . . . on clearance. So, dear reader, I bought them and have been wearing them all day while reading pdf files. Then, for a moment, I kicked them off and ran upstairs to prepare the hallway for a door installer (who is coming to make my son's dreams come true by installing his Buzz Lightyear door). And, when I came back downstairs, there was only one. One of my worthless cats has absconded with the other and is no doubt hiding somewhere eating it as I write. I've looked all over and cannot find it. Such is life--small moments of happiness linked by long periods of despair. Okay, maybe that's a bit over the top given that I've lost a slipper, but I really liked them!

Anyway, on to song forty-six, given my trauma, I searched iTunes on slipper and found the Cocktail Slippers, an all-girl rock band from Oslo, Norway (you read that correctly). Their website contains the headline, "Cocktail Slippers Tour Netherland and Belgium Again," and for some reason, the "again" just strikes me as hilarious. From their limited ouevre, I selected "Rock 'n Roll Babe." Maybe it's just me, but sometimes you can listen to a "rock" song and immediately tell it's from not-America. This is one of those songs. This is not rock. It's very perky and cute and easily could be performed in a mall or by a band on a sitcom. The Cocktail Slippers are clearly girls not grrls. The song does have an odd flight attendant intro and outro; perhaps they spend a lot of time on planes flying from the Netherlands to Belgium.

319 to go.

No comments: