Saturday, February 11, 2006

Songs Forty-Two and Forty-Three

(In my head, I am writing this entire section of the post in the voice of Lola from Charlie and Lola, so it might help to read it that way.) Why do I always want to put a "u" in forty? Do you, dear reader? It would look much nicer, don't you think? (gaze upon the possibility: fourty) Oh well, I still have a cold, but at least I'm at home--where I just put up my latest purchase: antique English stained glass windows. Apparently, folks salvage them as the English tear down their wee pre-fourties (ha! isn't it better) homes or rip out their lovely old tulip windows for double-paned efficiency. So, I bought two for my kitchen, and although they do not mask the pile of laundry that is judging me as I avoid folding it, they still look mighty nice. They remind me of Chester. It is also quite cold and dreary outside, so I shall be making chicken soup for dinner. And, yes, judgmental laundry, I shall find time to fold you--and even put you away. Although, I have found that the children love to play king of the hill on the laundry piles and jump in them as though they were piles of leaves, giggling like mad; yet another reason to chalk one up for sloth.

So, on to two more songs, in honor of the "bleak midwinter":

Song Forty-Two: Here's a downbeat, reverb tune from the Norweigian band, Flunk, "Morning Star." The intro to the song sounds very Bjork-ish, and the vocals seem to be delivered from another room. I can hear a separation between this track and the music ones. The lead singer has a cute accent as she attempts to wrap her glacial, way-northern voice around English. This band sounds a lot like the Cardigans but with a denser and heavier feel to the instrumentation. Nice but not quite distinctive enough. (Given the band's name, I am resisting puns with a steely will.)

Song Forty-Three: I have one Zero 7 song on the Garden State soundtrack, and I like it. I like this one, too, "Destiny." If you stripped the quirk from Morcheeba, you might end up with Zero 7. It has a moderated trip-hop vibe that glides you along, but it is one of those songs that you can listen to without really listening to it at all (if that makes sense). I would put this on a dinner party mix. It also has really layered production, and it would surprise me if the band sounded at all like this live. But, I have to admit an affinity for the thickness of heavily produced music; you can certainly hear where your 99 cents went!

322 to go.

No comments: