Thursday, February 09, 2006

Songs Forty and Forty-One

I'm on the road and on Sudaphed (actually Wal-phed, which is much cheaper), Halls, and massive fluids. Here's some news, you can now only buy Sudaphed directly from the pharmacist. Why? Couldn't the checkout clerk figure out something was suspicious if I tried to buy forty-eight boxes of the stuff? You need a PharmD to spot a fellow chemist? Whatever, my cold has made me a bit cranky--as you might sense. I did get to have a dream meal, though: Cracker Barrel followed by Krispy Kreme and Starbucks. If I were a rapper, my entire repetoire would consist of shout-outs to iconic food establishments and their signature dishes: "You're like Southwestern Eggrolls, boy; you're so hot and tasty. You're like 'hot donuts now,' boy; you're so white and pasty." Anyway, you get the point . . . I love trashy food!

Okay, I'm also channel-flipping and happened upon CSI. Did everyone get new hair? It looks like Death Cab for Cutie took lab jobs. I've worked in a lab and found there to be surprisingly little neon lighting and very few Tigi Bed Heads (well, actually, none).

So, on to two more songs, and I'm continuing my retro theme.

Song Forty: Bill Withers, "Lovely Day." This is just one of the best songs ever. It really captures all the redemptive power of love in a joyous bop-a-long. It can turn even a cranky cold-havin' girl into a sing-a-long queen (though you probably wouldn't want to listen!). The way he carries out "lovely day" makes me think of the whole day and the strength of his voice is the strength of his love. Everyone needs this song on their sad-day rolodex for its remarkable healing power.

Song Forty-One: Brothers Johnson, "Strawberry Letter 23." This is such an odd psychedelic funk song. I can remember the very first time I heard it in my Holly Hobbie decorated bedroom. The keyboard chorus, the uber-funk bass, the out-of-nowhere solos. It sounds like a mash-up of songs by the Moody Blues; Yes; Earth, Wind and Fire; the Commodores; and the Ringling Brothers and Barnum Bailey Circus. And people think "Feel Good, Inc." is a weird song. Welcome to the 70s, love child, now git your swirly groove on!

324 more to go.

No comments: