Monday, January 02, 2006

Songs One and Two

That's right. I've discovered iTunes. In saying this, I'm perfectly aware that I'm far enough from the bleeding edge of technology that I shan't even skin my knee. Listen, the last three concerts I attended involved the Wiggles, Laurie Berkner, and Dan Zanes (who decades ago I saw in his original incarnation as a Del Fuego)--so the fact that I know how to download music at all should count for something.

Okay, the first song was an immediate crowd-pleaser for the whole family: A Band of Bees "Chicken Payback." Sounds like someone put the Hucklebuck in a blender with Laurie Berkner (shout out for the moms!) and added a nice distortion filter. We played it about four times on the way home, and it left my son literally crying in the car for more. Plus, it proved to be an excellent song to dance-paint the bathroom to. Turns out Band of Bees was up for the Mercury Prize, which is remarkably prestigious in that twee British eccentrically understated way--so clearly, their appeal reaches far beyond the Noggin shores and likely is the subject of a great paper somewhere on the parodic impulse of British pop.

Second song, a real rump shaker: M.I.A. "Galang." Galang is what happens when Shakira and Missy Elliot have a slumber party and watch Bend It Like Beckham--over and over. Again, a great dance-paint song (three guesses what I did over New Year's). I completely don't know what this song is about, nor I doubt will I ever (though it does involve a BMW). I do get a huge hit of Belle Stars nostalgia when I listen to this song. Anyone not of age in the 80s should check out their version of "Iko-Iko" and then listen to the "Galang" chorus. See, I used to know my stuff!

Just 363 more to go.

1 comment:

Malagueta said...

Hey, actually, I saw them in Tampa with that power group that Jimmy Page was in, I think. Which was the Firm, I've just been told.