Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Song Four

This is coming in a bit early because tomorrow I'll be off working on some writing for which I really have a deadline. It's not nearly as fun as downloading music and rambling about it, but theoretically, I'll make some money off of it eventually. So, on to song four . . .

Alison Krauss and Union Station, "New Favorite." AKUS, an acronym I learned from CMT (ha!), is an act I've always liked but still couldn't commit to buying a CD from. Sure, I own O Brother Where Art Thou--try to swing a hobo (with or without bindle) without hitting someone who has that one--but the thought of too much fiddlin' makes me nervous. I'm also a bit troubled that Ms. Krauss herself is of the "ever-shrinking" school of fame-makeovers. Girl, there's some chicken, waffles, cornbread, and greens with your name on them in those hills!

I picked "New Favorite" based on the few second sample on iTunes. I bought the live version for reasons that escape me now, especially since there's too much applause at the end (caveat emptor). The song itself is nicely haunting. Here's an odd description of the music that might pique your interest: take "Untitled 3" from Sigur Ros's ( ) and add some vintage (say Making Movies) Mark Knopfler guitar. Stir slowly and relentlessly, then lay over that some quite beautifully sung lyrics that take a dark look at love.

It may be because I just got the latest Haven Kimmel and am thinking back over her oeuvre (say that quickly), but this song really seems like it could be the theme for Langston Braverman from The Solace of Leaving Early. If you don't have that--or all of Ms. Kimmel's books--shame on you, dear reader! The notion of "the favorite"--new and displaced--seems especially and appropriately grad-schooly.

361 to go.

No comments: