Thursday, January 05, 2006

Song Six

I can't believe I'm missing Dancing with the Stars to write my blog. Why, oh why did I leave my laptop at work. Tatum O'Neal, Drew Lachey, and George Hamilton--the possibilities for dancing enchantment are gurgling all over. Still, I must blog on . . .

I was once driving across the state to attend a meeting the next morning. I tend to leave very late at night for these excursions, so I can first put my children to bed. In my haste to get out of the house and to my destination before 2 am, I forgot to bring any CDs, and on the radio, I caught a few seconds of Gwen Stefani's "Hollaback Girl." I spent the rest of the drive with my radio on scan trying to find the song and managed to listen to it about a dozen times--singing along the whole way. What a great song! (I once did the same thing with the Foo Fighters' "The Best of You," what a cutie that Dave Grohl is . . . but all that gum, yuck.)

Anyway, I dipped into the Stefani catalog for song six: "Luxurious." Why you might ask? Let me recount a conversation I recently had with my husband.

Husband: "It's just a theory, but you might spend less if you subscribed to fewer magazines devoted to consumption."

Me: "What's that supposed to mean?"

Husband: "Well, I'm not certain any one person is really supposed to subscribe to Lucky and Domino and InStyle and Cookie and Vanity Fair."

Me: "Well, I balance it out by occasionally buying Real Simple at the airport."

Husband: loving sigh

So, how could I not love a song with lines like "This kinda life is getting expensive" and "We're luxurious like Egyptian cotton" and "We're rolling in cashmere." Also, the production of this song is top notch and utterly lush and the slow, slow pacing is conspicuously opulent (it clocks in at over 4 minutes)--offering clever reinforcement of the lyrics. Plus, on the responsible side, I do think there's something in the song about not blowing all your cash and investing in long term love. At least that's how I read, "You're my mister. I'm your miss. Gonna be until we're old."

So, I remain convinced those loving sighs will go on for some time, Lucky or no Lucky. Man cannot live by the Progressive alone!

Anyway, as Gwen says, "this is how I roll" :)

359 to go.

No comments: