Saturday, April 22, 2006

Songs One-Hundred Eleven and Twelve

How could they have canceled Cooking with Celebrities? Is there no justice? I'm getting Nancy Grace on this . . . pronto. Urgh, I'll bet Thicke is pissed. I missed yesterday's post because it was my daughter's first gymnastics "show," 90 minutes of full-on preschool energy wrapped up in a bug-theme. This girl has someone else's genetics--on both sides. It was so wonderful that I actually teared up at several points. Being a parent is so frequently amazing that one really needs to sit and think about it every once in a while. The children are now engrossed in the underrated and remarkably beautiful, William Joyce-realized Robots, enabling me to quickly blog and then start a top-to-bottom overhaul of the house in advance of visitors arriving this evening. It's not so much dirty as it is laundry-filled. Sigh. Oh well, on to the music, I stumbled on an iMix of songs featured in commercials, so today, I'll be blogging about two. Song 111 is Nikka Costa's "Everybody Got Their Something," the title of course being a callback to Shaw's use of "their" to refer to the singular everybody/everyone (right?). Actually, it's a funky, Sly Stone callback, necessitating much head swaying and rump shakin'. Very catchy, mapping personal empowerment to a synth-y horn section and organ. Think scarves, 'fros, and platforms. Song 112 is Iron and Wine's "Such Great Heights," which I think is from the M&M's commercial and is apparently a cover of some other indie-band-I've-never-heard-of's song. Very breathy, hippy/trippy, Donovan-y. I can completely imagine rocking my baby to sleep to this on an upscale, cool parents lullaby CD (Martha Stewart's Baby anthology was my full-on fav). Seems like just mellow guitar--maybe mandolin--and vocals, and everything does look perfect from far away. Can't argue with that.

253 to go.

No comments: