Sunday, April 23, 2006

One-Hundred Thirteen

It's super-quiet at the ol' Homestead. The children are napping and my husband ran in to work to finish a project, so it's just me deciding which cookbook to pick up to plan Sunday dinner. The day is sunny and warm, so I'm thinking Giada de Laurentiis will win out. I can't believe she actually eats, but her recipes are certainly delicious. This is a lazy Sunday, sans cupcakes and Chronicles, and while perusing the NYT this morning, I learned that in Germany, I would be a Rabenmutter: their lovely term for a woman who leaves her children to return to work. I would have been depressed if my latest issue of Cookie hadn't also arrived yesterday--full of lovely consumables that showed me why I'm working, well that and the whole "I have my own identity, intellect, and esteem, bucko" factor. No wonder I don't own any German cookbooks. So, there! In the spirit of all things anachronistic and oppressive, today's song is Matthew Sweet and Susanna Hoff's cover of "Run to Me." Ms. Hoff's voice has always been squeezed into vintage-y uses, so this seems a natural. I have to confess to being unfamiliar with Mr. Sweet's work outside of the Austin Powers movies. (Though, my husband did once proclaim his hatred of Mr. Sweet because he had better seats--two row up--than we did at an Elvis/Brodsky concert, yet looked disaffected and thus undeserving of said seats.) This is almost a simulacra-cover--so close to the original, as I remember it, as to be either almost pointless or the thing itself. But, I do love me that thick production, much in evidence here, and it sounds pretty.

252 to go.

No comments: