Thursday, March 30, 2006

Songs Eighty-Eight to Ninety-Two

I'm blogging ahead as we're leaving for the weekend in celebration of many things: I passed my oral exam and am admitted to candidacy (now I'm ABD twice! time to start a new degree); it's our anniversary; and it's our son's birthday. Yipee!!! I've actually pre-celebrated in the manner of all self-respecting academics--mani/pedi. I had a really intriguing conversation earlier this week with the newish provost of my illustrious alma and continuing mater in which she posited that one could track the influence of merit based aid in the rise of spa services for college students. We both agreed that we never thought about getting spa services as undergrads, yet every coed at the big U certainly sports some fine looking nails and toes. Intriguing. There is definitely a funded research study in there, and blog-america do not even dream of stealing my intellectual property. So, onto a slew of new songs.

Oh, first, I saw the Yeah, Yeah, Yeahs last night on Letterman. Still don't get it. As I told my husband, I was there for Siousxie--and she played with a guy named Budgie. What's this band bringing to the party? Okay, now new songs.

Song Eighty-Eight: Deadman, "Brother." It's a bit of a downer and sounds like one of those acoustic cuts they used to tack onto the end of Fleetwood Mac albums. The male vocalist has a Bono-ish feel to his voice. I'm thinking I meant to download something else as this is not really "me." But, carry-on modern day folkies, I feel your pain--and gave you my buck-minus in sympathy.

Song Eighty-Nine: Beulah, "Popular Mechanics for Lovers." I broke down and sought out an OC mix. Amazing how many songs I've bought are OC-features; I'm clearly down with the young people. This has a kinda updated Herman Hermits feel. Jangly, sing-along pop for the post-ironic spa set. Fun and disposable (like the OC, I guess).

Song Ninety: Cobra Verde, "Get the Party Started." Had to buy this. I used to dance my baby daughter across the bed every day to the Pink version. She loved it and has been getting the party started ever since. This version starts with a nice (I hope) "Raspberry Beret" cough allusion. It has more an ominous, Oingo Boingo party feel than a full out BMX party with Pink and Carey feel. Interesting. (According to its website, this band was also on the OC. Good gracious, is that show taking over the musical planet? Be afraid, dear reader. Avoid any stick figure wearing distressed Keds.)

Song Ninety-One: Transplants, "Gangsters and Thugs." A fast-paced punky-pop tune; has a kind of mod-Jam feel with a bit of ska-intonation thrown in. Catchy. The chorus has a nice "seen it all" feel and delivery: "some of my friends sell records, some of my friends sell drugs." Lots of mix-it-up in a moderated drum-and-bass way. Fun debauchery. (Hey, from the website I learned this band features that guy from Meet the Barkers.)

Song Ninety-Two: The Perishers, "Trouble Sleeping." Maybe a bit too slowly paced and MOR. Every once in a while, there's a nice musical counterpoint, but otherwise it drags on in a too familiar way. One would have little trouble sleeping through this (get it?).

273 to go.

2 comments:

meg said...

Mani-pedi: Partly I think it's a fashion trend for everyone. Super-butch colleagues who sported motor oil under their nails 10 years ago are now exquisitely be-nailed.

YYYs: Special K is a huge fan of them too, and like you, I don't get it. I think the fans all have the hots for Karen O (in all her nuttiness).

My favorite cover of "Get this Party Started" is Dick Brave and the Backbeats. Have you checked that one out?

meg said...

I checked out the Cobra Verde... *love* their cover of the Rolling Stones' "Playing with Fire"!