Sunday, January 22, 2006

Song Twenty-Two

In the spirit of blog-sharing, here are several things I learned this morning. (Feel free to jump ahead to the tune review.) Getting your son to use the little potty once in exchange for a Wiggles dish set does not guarantee he will ever want to use it again. Lisa Loeb is apparently now divorced from Dweezil Zappa and lookin' for love on reality tv. When driven through a house, a bike will consistently outpace a Wiggles car. Cynthia Nixon will take pretty much any work as long as it doesn't take her from New York, but she never moved to Brooklyn. There's some new super subscription service called Magdog that will change my magazine reading life forever. Golfing is now verboten in lobbying circles. Detroit is still a cold, sad place of lost potential and the death of industrialization. The last third of Stuart Little does not hold children's interest. When I finally get that summer cabin, it should have an elaborate steel door and pulley system to keep it safe. Millenials don't watch much tv (leaving all the more for me, I guess). There was some kind of Mormon-led massacre of people from Arkansas long ago. ABC Carpet & Home is having a fantastic Mitchell Gold sample sale that I cannot be part of. All this and more . . . and it's not even noon yet. Plus, I finished my new porch quilt, vacuumed the rugs, and waxed all the furniture during Miss America last night. How productive! Isn't my life fascinating, dear readers?

So, now, for a relaxing blogging break. First, let me say how intensely I try to determine how to spend 99 cents on a song. This is really odd considering I will drop $4 on a cup of coffee without batting a well-curled eyelash. So, I ran through several possibilities--all suggested by the helpful iTunes BETA (as in, not our fault if it doesn't work) Just For You feature built on our favorite big brother research technology, predictive metrics. And, I finally hit on an effort by several bands (I guess?) with the names Coastal, Colophon, Loquat, and Sappington, Seasons. I dropped my buck-minus on Loquat's "Swingset Chain." I picked it for predictably mommy-reasons involving innocence, childhood, and the sweetly savage passing of time. The tune lives up to the promise of the songbyte--a beautiful evocation of childhood memories crashing into the waves of calendar days (made me tear up a bit). Very nice imagery, excellent use of the phrase "freaking out," and the lead singer has a lilting but never cloying voice and a great delivery. There's just enough electronica in the song to make it feel fresh, and the production seems quite crisp. Well done, exotic fruit band!

343 to go.

No comments: