Monday, January 23, 2006

Song Twenty-Four

I've got a chamber of commerce function tomorrow night (yeah that's right, it's got a Jimmy Buffett theme; jealous?), so I wanted to knock out tomorrow's entry today.

First, I should mention that one of the cats (the one obsessed with Ariel) is laying across the monitor, and her tail blocks part of my screen. So, I disclaim responsibility for any spelling errors on the far left side.

Okay, on to the shoegazers. How could anyone not love Lush or the Sundays or Jesus and Mary Chain? I nearly died at the end of Lost in Translation when "Just Like Candy" popped up. Too perfect. I can remember losing myself in the wash of sound pouring through my Walkman while gazing at my own black docs and white bobby sox. Melodic distortion that captures the beauty in isolation. Ah, college.

So, in perusing through someone's shoegazer iMix, I found a tune by a band I don't know with a fantastic name: Flying Saucer Attack, "A Silent Tide." (This link really kicks it old school 'cause FSA ceased to exist in 2000.) Very much a Lush-like sound, but with lower mixed vocals and more guitar-y distortion. Kind of like the child of Lush and JMC. The song fills up the space wonderfully with only-from-England, fresh-from-the-moors noise. Can't understand a word that's being sung and don't need to. A song to load on the iPod for a trip to Hadrian's Wall. Give me more!

341 to go.

No comments: