Monday, January 09, 2006

Song Nine

Ah, what a day. First, I learn that Lance and Sheryl have called it quits; then comes the double-whammy, so have Hilary and Chad (and of course, there was Nick and Jessica). If bad news about Brittany and Kevin, or Brangelina, or Bennifer2 comes around the pike, I'm following Mr. Cash's lead and heading to my cave to die (see Song Eight). Where is true love, dear readers?

So, to salve my soul, I skipped the cave (too dank and buggy) went instead to a safe well, the Garden State soundtrack, which eventually led me to a wonderfully atmospheric and witty song: Frou Frou's "It's Good to Be in Love." Imogen Heap has since ended this collaboration and gone solo. Folks seem to either love or hate her voice. To my mind, in this song, she sounds a bit like Kate Bush reimagined through Beth Orton, so I'm in the love camp. I'm a sucker for any type of wall-of-sound (hence my continuing affection for Oasis). And, I really like her phrasing. The alternate casual diction ("it's all good") and surprising imagery ("cucumber eyes") nicely capture the jumble of love: "why's it happening? how's it happening?" Who can say, Ms. Heap? . . . but it is good to be in love!

356 more to go.

No comments: