Sunday, August 20, 2006

Songs 218 and 219

Whew, this should bring me up through the end o' July--which is great because it's almost the end of August. Because I'm so good at keeping current with this blog, I started another (see the new sidebar). Also, we saw Ricky Bobby last night. HI-larious; there's something surprisingly appealing about Will Ferrell (he's kind of like the male Reese Witherspoon--way winning). Oh, and I bought the whole of the Tony Bennett Stepping Out cd online. It's so beautiful; I just love those hushed Fred Astaire ballads. You know, this is weird to say, but there are parts of this album that remind me of Lil' Jon. Listen for yourself and figure out what I mean (you know you're intrigued now, dear reader!). Okay, I need to get back to cutting fabric, so here are my last two July songs. I got both these off the indie singer/songwriter spotlight on iTunes. Always a dangerous combo (oy, the coffeehouse), but these are pretty good.

Song 218: Rose Melberg, "Take Some Time." She has a light voice, very melodic with a kind of hush, but not overly little-girly. The song flows along nicely, lots of "ooo-s." The intermittent piano works well, too. Pretty.

Song 219: Thao Nguyen, "Chivalry." Rolling guitar intro with an alt-country kinda vibe (viet-country?). She has an Edie Brickell-like bleat in her voice. The quick-step pacing is nice. The guitar pickin' midway is quite bluegrass-like. Surprising.

146 to go.

No comments: