Saturday, March 25, 2006

Songs Seventy-Four to Seventy-Seven

Well, everyone is napping, and I just found an old box of remnant Mike and Ikes in the cabinet, so that's motivation enough to blow off the laundry for a few more minutes and push on with the tunes. As I write, in front of me is my non-winning Georgia "megamillions" ticket. While in Atlanta last week, I bought a non-winning Tuesday ticket and then a non-winning Friday ticket (I just checked the site). Oh, the humanity. But, the blog must go on . . .

Song Seventy-Four: Yeah, Yeah, Yeahs, "Gold Lion." I got this one from EW. I know they've been darlings for a while, but I'm coming to this song a tabula rasa. There's more than a bit of Sinead O'Connor in the lead singer's voice in the yippy parts. This is a fine song, but nothing spectacular. It seems like a pastiche of a lot of 80s/90s rock, but clearly, it takes itself very seriously. Eh. As with the Strokes, I don't seem to get it.

Song Seventy-Five: Jem, "They." A welsh songstress who has nothing to do with the 1980s Jem action heroine, who was "truly outrageous" and also a songstress. Song has nice layering effects and processing. I like it--electronica regret theme with a tinge of oppression. Some of the backing tracks have a very-70s movie background feel to them. There's a nice sense of overwhelming sound when she sings of "them" that adds to the ambient suffocation.

Song Seventy-Six: Architecture in Helsinki, "The Owls Go." Okay, this song is awesome!! You'd need another blog just to catalog every instrument and human noise in here. It took about three listens just to pay attention to what the diverse vocalists were saying--which is kinda twins in the hallway Shining creepy/cute at least to my ears. The "four, three, two, one" speaker alternation is so cool (and happens twice), and when they finally got to the "owls go, hoo, hoo," I was so oddly excited to finally hear the song title. Everyone needs to own this epic. You go, Architecture in Helsinki!

Song Seventy-Seven: Apollo Sunshine, "Today is the Day." Apparently, Apollo Sunshine is the next big thing. This is a fun song. Very upbeat, music-man feel. One of those bounce in your chairs or do a hippie-dance songs. Short, driving. I can definitely see it in a Gap ad, that's for sure. Worth 99.

288 to go.

No comments: