Friday, January 20, 2006

Songs Fifteen through Eighteen

Oh my gosh, what an awful blogger I am. I really meant to post, but what with my busy gal schedule, I just got so tired each night and couldn't stand to look at the CRT anymore. Still, I did get to watch the Globes, run to gymnastics, discover an orange tree in my backyard, arrange my qualifying exams, start a new quilt, wax my eyebrows, sad-cringe at skating with 'celebrities,' happy-cringe at the Office, finish revisions on an article, play monster, teach my daughter to use the computer mouse, buy a cute chicken-themed penny rug, read Corduroy and the Leaf Men (which always make me cry), dance to the music (insert Noggin trademark), decorate with Wallies, fail to potty-train my son, and continue to avoid putting away laundry and finishing my book's TOC all during prime blogging time. Intersperse this with work, Old McDonald's, giggles, temper tantrums, infinite joy, remarkable exhaustion, and Countdown, and you've got another typical mommy week.

So, here goes the first of two catch-up, massive editions of meet the iTunes.

Song Fifteen: The Ivories, "Reduce the Temperature"
First song of the four, so let's take it down a few degrees, "we need to calm down; put your head in the ice box." This song has a trippy Siouxsie meets hep cat bongo beat; a wonderful admixture of the soothing and the ominous. Have to give props for the effective use of the tambourine, too. I found this song on someone's iMix. I'd never heard of the Ivories, but they are super cool. Apparently, they are really, really unknown with just an EP--hey remember those!--to their name. This tune should be on the soundtrack of my life! "Getting out of hand," indeed. Someone, quick, make this band famous!

Song Sixteen: Kate Bush, "King of the Mountain"
Okay, I am a total KB-whore. I even had a cassette of The Kick Inside back in the day. I even, even had the gray marbled edition of the Hounds of Love album. (Yet, I hate Tori Amos, go figure.) This song has a very nice atmospheric build but maybe a bit too many 70s, Toto-drum fills. Ms. Bush's voice is lovely as ever, not as much growling as I remember though. More the lilting, eager-to-please Kate. Unfortunately, the build doesn't go anywhere, though the song is certainly long enough for it to climb somewhere (please!). Disappointing. On a side note, I am consistently typing "song" as "soung" and having to correct it. I don't know what this has to do with anything, but I lost interest in the song and thought I'd share while I wait for my boredom to end.

Song Seventeen: Sia, "Breathe Me"
This was referred to on iTunes as the Six Feet Under song, which means nothing to me because I don't ever watch those icky, self-involved HBO dramas. Who wants to spend time with those people? Ew. (But that new Bill Paxton polygamy show looks intriguing. He's a hoot.) Anyway, this is a basic chick-'rock' post-Lilith song; a bit too emote-y for my taste. It sounded better in the song-byte--a bit colder and more sparse--than in its realization. Ms. Sia would have done better to have stuck with a Shaker-ed down version: clean and well-constructed. And, again with the drum fills. Doesn't anyone realize this kind of nonsense just calls attention to any shortcomings? Oh well.

Song Eighteen: Youth Group, "Shadowland"
I'm liking this one . . . a lot. No drum fills--gold stars for all. Bouncy yet richly textured; slight wall of sound; clever lyrics. A bit too much "shadowland" repetition, but it is balanced with a funky theremin-like instrumental. I like the abrupt end that offers a hope of the romantic. Again, a band I know nothing about, but their iTunes' discography has them featured on the OC soundtrack. Well, it's never all good, is it. And, they do sound kind of like the band DCC wishes it were if it were cool Australians. You go, 42 Wallaby Way!

And, the cat has again dragged the naked Ariel through the kitchen, so I'm off to put my head in the ice box.

347 to go.

No comments: