Monday, May 29, 2006

Songs 136 to 140

Wow, being a single parent is tough. My husband was away for a week and a half, during which I decided that I would become a whole new person . . . well, at least as it concerns housecleaning. So, for over 2 weeks, I have kept my house "up" on a regular basis and have been amazed at what it does for the psyche. But, whew!! Between that, work, writing, and running after my children, it kinda takes away the blogging time. Still, I have been listening to a passel of new songs (mostly in my car and again while whipping out a new porch quilt once my husband got home), so here goes. Oh, I discovered the NPR book podcast, which is nice "binding a quilt" listening. Oh, and I changed my numerical format for the titles as part of my lifestyle streamlining. Oh, and this is the all-J edition of SAFTBRC.

Song 136: Jeannie Ortega, "Crowded." A free iTunes download that's disposable fun. She completely sounds like J-Lo and Papoose sounds like Jay-Z. But, the song has a cool, Indian-ish opening and a very funny shout-out to R. Kelly. If repurposed, it would actually make a great Bollywood song.

Song 137: Jens Lekman, "Black Cab." This has a Brit-Replacements feel--hung-over ennui played out over a kind of Mersey beat instrumentation (but I think he might be Canadian). It's catchy in a downer way. The content really reminds me of the end to Elizabeth Bowen's "Demon Lover," which I'm sure is what he was going for.

Song 138: Jon Brion, "Knock Yourself Out." I Heart Huckabees has been on a bunch this month; I really love Marky Mark's performance in that movie. This song is from the film and is nicely hum-able in that Jon Brion way, where the lyrics are undercut by the music (or vice versa). Short and sweet.

Song 139: Jose Gonzalez, "Heartbeats." I know this is from an ad, but I can't remember for what . . . something involving a car. It's really beautiful and simple, kind of hypnotic actually. This song can cure high blood pressure, I'm certain. Put it on a loop and sit back.

Song 140: Jaymay, "Gray or Blue." She really reminds me of Nellie McKay: kind of precious and quirky. Still, the song is appealing--a tale of love thwarted by friendship that still leaves room for the longing and hope. The music perks along nicely and fits well with her vocals.

225 to go.

No comments: